Thursday, March 17, 2011

Clydesdale

When I go and register for a triathlon, I am an eligible to register in the Clydesdale division. If I don't I would be put into the typical age divisions.

The question becomes.....which division to race in?

Lets take a look at what a Clydesdale is first.......

Clydesdale definition = a Scottish bread of strong, hardy draft horses. OR a heavy powerful breed of horse.

I guess that means I am a heavy powerful triathlon athlete?

To qualify for this division you must be a male over 200 lbs, regardless of height. This seems odd to me for several reasons. A guy that is 5'6" tall that is over 200 lbs is overweight, but what about a guy like me that is 6'5" tall......is that overweight? If I weighed the average weight of a triathlon athlete at 165 lbs....I would have a 2% body fat composition and NO muscle, but a guy that is 5'6" would be ripped with muscle!

With all that said.....which division so I register for?

2 comments:

  1. We vote for Clydesdale division. We compete in Athena division and are much happier than competing against our age group with extremely fit women. You might find the same thing - for your second tri you can go after the age group once you have a time to see how you compare. We actually feel competitve in the Athena group.

    ReplyDelete