Tuesday, March 29, 2011


When it comes to getting into shape, training for a triathlon, losing weight, or body building, at least 80% (maybe even 90%) of your results can be tied to your nutrition. As my pitching coach in baseball used to tell me, if you eat junk food, you will perform like junk. Like wise if you eat good food.

I also once heard....If it tastes good then it's bad for you, if it tastes bad then it is good for you!

So, what is the best nutrition / diet to follow for triathlon training? Is it best to just stick to a high carb and fresh veggie / fruit diet? Or do you go with a high carb and protein diet for fuel?

There seems to be a TON of resources out there as to what the best diet for endurance performance is.......

My plan is to eat health food in it's most clean and natural state. Of course their will be days of In-n-Out, but I will follow the only 80/20 rule I learned in business school (be healthy 80% of the time, cause no one remembers or cares about the other 20%), plus for my life with kids and work, 100% is just not practical.

So, what is your plan? What works for you?


  1. A balance of the macronutrients - protein, carbs, and (healthy) fats - is important. Protein helps with recovery and muscle damage repair. Also helps manage hunger and blood sugar swings. Carbs provide fuel and replenish glycogen stores. Best carb sources: fruits and vegetables first, whole grains a distant 2nd, processes grains not so great. Fats are a necessary part of the diet. Best ones are olive and canola oils, as well as oil/fat from fish. Minimize animal fats from meat and dairy.
    My 2 cents.

  2. I'm the wrong person to ask, as I follow the "I can eat what I want because I work out" plan. Yeah, that worked just fine in my 20s and most of my 30s, but at 44 it's not working anymore!

    Of course, I *know* what I'm supposed to eat. It's just that the other stuff tastes so good. :)

  3. I'm all over clean eating! I feel better when I eat clean which I guess is what it all comes down to. (Unless I sneak a blizzard).

    When I'm training hard, I need to keep protein balanced throughout the day. I'm a big smoothie fan, and go through spinach faster than Popeye! Throw in some 0% Greek Yogurt and maybe a protein powder and you're good to go!

    I need carbs too. I'm not one of those "no carb" people. It's nothing weird for me to eat brown rice for breakfast....with curry. YUM! I'm sure the neighbours in our building hate me.

  4. The clean eating is key for me as well. Unprocessed as much as I can. I try to have some protein at all my meals, but since starting tri training, I've realized that I actually need a pretty high percentage of carbs. I try to make them healthy whole grain carbs, but I can't avoid them. I feel low when I don't have them.

    The one exception to that is currently my long runs when I use gels, which are processed sugar. I'm sure I'll start using them on rides as well when I get past a certain point.

  5. Does anyone use recovery drinks? I mix two scoops of orange Endurox with one scoop of vanilla whey protein powder and shake it up with cold water after particular long and/or hard workouts. It tastes like a creamsicle and helps my muscles recover more quickly, since I just have to get up and do another hard workout the next day....

  6. I'm training for a half ironman and I eat EVERYTHING in sight. I eat something at least every 2 hours and I still lost 25lbs in 4 months. I do eat pretty well though but not great. I probably the 80/20 rule also. What are you training for?