Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spin Class

While working on how I am going to train for this triathlon deal I have found many resources online for training....as I mentioned before in Information Overload.

So, in order to get in some riding I am planing on taking a day off weight training every week and take a spin class before work. Now here is the question.....

Does a spin class count as a ride?

I have read from some triathletes that if you start and stop a "ride" in the same place without changing your view along the way, then it is not a ride. I get it. Riding a bike either on road or a mountain bike is much different than on a stationary bike. There are other factors than just spinning a wheel that come into play, like traffic, stop lights, rocks, hills, weather, etc.

But at the end of the day....Did my legs spin something? Did my heart rate increase? Did I sit on a saddle? Did I sweat? Did I compete with the guy next to me to go faster?

YES....so isn't that a ride?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of triathlon! Regarding a spin class, it kind of counts as a ride. Typically when you do a "training" ride it isn't going to be as intense as a spin class, nor as short. I have heard of people doing back to back classes to get a full "ride" in. I don't think it is a bad thing if you are doing it once a week to substitute for a shorter ride. Also, not sure what distance triathlon you are going to be doing, so a 45 ride might be what your training plan calls for. Good luck with the training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spin classes are a great way to get some high intensity work. If the instructor is good he or she will get you properly warmed up and will get your heart rate elevated into the higher zones. Ideally the instructor will be bicycle oriented. I would recommend that you, as much as possible, get the 2nd ride each week on the road.

    ReplyDelete